Monday, March 24, 2008

Chicken dumpling soup

Scott said "it tastes just like the Amish Kitchen back in Columbus!" I'm pretty sure he meant that in a nice way, but I think the actual Amish would think my dumplings aren't plain enough, and are of sin.
I had some leftover oven-fried chicken from Friday night, and some leftover gnocchi from Saturday, and am in a shitty mood. I needed some comfort food, with gravy.

Thank god I keep chicken stock in my freezer! I had some fancy-ass Klamath Pearl potatoes, some Sweet Nantes carrots, and a bunch of other shit that doesn't have a gay name. Ooh, I also had a little leftover gravy from fried chicken night. Onions, thyme, that chicken, and those gnocchi. Stick it in a pot with the stock and gravy on low heat until the potatoes are done (well, add the gnocchi last so you don't end up with lead slugs).

14 comments:

Susan @ SGCC said...

That looks pretty damn good for something you through together. I could have used this earlier. I had a really shitty day too! :(

Pixie said...

Very hearty soup-I would love to have this for lunch today.

Peter M said...

Soup will always pick ya up, especially after a "bending over" episode from when you made your last dessert.;)

Anonymous said...

You amaze me with your combinations Heather. Quite a hearty soup...This could be a meal in itself.

Julia said...

Oh, I've died and gone to heaven!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Yummmm...How come when you describe it it sounds so good?

Hope it improved your mood. Bad moods suck!!

Jen said...

I am home sick today. Have the chicken stock, chicken, celery, carrots, onions... and could make buttermilk dumplings. Think I will. Thanks for the inspiration!

glamah16 said...

I sense a monthly pattern in your moods:-). I'll take the spiced up Heather vesrion tha the Amish. I tried to make potato dumplings this weekend and failed miserably.

Catherine Wilkinson said...

Oh, the irony of thinking up the best recipes when your happy meter hits zero. Happens all the time.

I'm just trying to figure out a gay vegetable name...Troy Potatoes Lance Arugula? Bryce Beets?

Anonymous said...

Bet you drove a car to pick up those gay potatoes you used and had the lights on while you slaved at the stove - yup, the Amish would think it's a sin.

amy @http://www.weareneverfull.com

Leigh said...

sweet - i'm always looking for a use for gnocchi - i made some this weekend actually. never even occured to slam some into some soup/broth.

Núria said...

It's not worth to be in bad mood... you know what you need? Spend some more money in Ikea!!! Ha, ha, ha :D

Emily said...

Looks pretty good to me. Whatever makes you feel better.
We're having King Ranch Casserole tonight, made out of canned soup.

MrOrph said...

Stick-to-your-ribs good looking soup. This looks great! I want some.

Sometimes, cleaning out the fridge works out great doesn't it.