Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A-Game 2008


I've got so much work ahead of me, but I'm making some progress. It's not too late! I spatched my turkey and the legs and wings are confiting in the oven, the breasts are tied and chillin' in a brine of coriander and fennel seed (from the garden), satsuma oranges and kefir lime leaves (with a splash of old Pinot), and the kabocha and kuri squashes for my tart are roasting along with the quinces and cranberries for the chutney. I have prepped my carrots and am gearing up to make the custard for my ice cream - if I could only decide which ice cream to make! It's a toss-up between black peppercorn (with a sprinkle of Bolivian pink salt) or young ginger and honey.

Menu (subject to change without notice):

Rosemary-Concorde pear focaccia with cheese curds
Chanterelle bisque with fresh turmeric and caramelized onions
Mixed green salad with honeycrisp apples, Brindisi and balsamic-honey vinaigrette
Haricots verts au gratin with king oyster mushrooms
Glazed carrots with young ginger
Turkey confit hash with sweet potato latkes
Roasted turkey breast with quince-cranberry chutney
Mashed potatoes with roasted shallot-thyme gravy
Garlic and herb savory bread pudding
Kabocha and kuri squash tart with ____ ice cream (I'm leaning toward the peppercorn)

I guess that looks like plenty after all. Okay, back to the kitchen with me - the wine's starting to kick in.

23 comments:

Dahlia said...

Egad. That sounds fantastic. I'm coming over to your house RIGHT NOW.

Anonymous said...

Are you KIDDING ME?! Man, I thought that I had a lot of food on my Thanksgiving table, but you have not only schooled me but SHAMED me in the process.
Sigh.

I really, really wish that I could find fresh Chanterelles (for less than the cost of a kidney) where I live.

Manggy said...

Oh my God. A-Game indeed. I'm glad we don't prepare thanksgiving here-- I'd forever feel inferior! Happy thanksgiving! :)

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

I wouldn't expect anything less form you my dear. Best wishes and enjoy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Do the black peppercorn. Done and done.

Peter M said...

That menu sounds all aces...have a wonderful Thanksgiving and don't even think about adding kohlrabi into the mix!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Happy Thanksgiving! That is an amazing menu.

Núria said...

Are you serious? Are you going to cook all that? Any helping hands in the kitchen? Girl, I'm taking my apron over for a little space in your table... have a deal?

Happy ThanksGiving :D

Matt Hoffman said...

wow this sounds incredible. Will you post recipe for your turkey confit / hash? and chanterelle soup? regardless, enjoy!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Happy Thanksgiving Heather!!!!!Wish I were around your table giving thanks for that delicious meal!!!

cookiecrumb said...

Oh, totally the peppercorn. You can jazz it up with honey and ginger.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Jen said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Heather!

What an amazing menu!

peter said...

What Cookie said. You're eating this right now.

Lo said...

Wow. What a great spread.
I hope all went off without a hitch. And that now, you are basking in the glow of a great meal. Shared with great people.

Happy Thanx!!

Syd said...

Fabulous menu!

Except...

Where's the Mac & Cheese? Heathen!

Brittany said...

My vote is for peppercorn, though the decision has no doubt long since been made.
Happy TG, girl. This menu looks nothing short of voodoolilly gloriousness.

Sarah said...

Wow, I hope we'll get an A-Game highlights reel out of that menu! Impressive and mouthwatering list you got there :) Hope your Turkey Day was wonderful!

Pam said...

My cooking is so boring compared to yours. You are one talented chef. What a wonderful meal!

Brittany said...

Good lord, I would bath in that if there weren't two turkeys floating in it:)

Heather said...

Hey, everybody! Thanks for commenting. Now that holiday is done I'll be better about replying to comments.

I really wanted to do the peppercorn, but at the end of the day I had a lot more ginger than pepper. I might just crack some pepper over the rest of the ice cream and eat it like that.

Matt Hoffman - I might! I've mentioned them before.

Emily said...

What a menu! I'm REALLY curious about the focaccia. It sounds good.

Anonymous said...

Your turkey brine sounds fantastic. Did you come up with that on your own? And how did it turn out?

Frustrated Farmer Rick said...

Lacking words I simply bow at your feet.