Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Bitch is Back

Okay, I guess I'm ready to come off of blogging vacay, since it's been two weeks, I'm not in the field and living out of a hotel (seriously, those 50-60 hour work weeks were destroying my appetite for a hobby that consumes an additional 4 hours of my day), and I've been passing out those cute little blog business cards that Foodbuzz sent me. God forbid anyone should actually look at my blog and see what a fucking hack I am.

I'll post some food later today. As always, I have a fridge full of brassicas: baby kohlrabi (and their greens), broccoli rabe and some beet greens mixed with baby kale and swiss chard. I also have some amazing smoked sturgeon (thanks, Dad!) that made lovely little fish cakes with lemon-thyme aioli last week*. Now I'm brainstorming a way to use the last 10 ounces without resorting to flaking it into a pasta salad.

Thanks to everyone who gave a shit that I was gone. The guilt was definitely a factor in getting off my lazy ass.

*Pulse minced onion, celery and shallot in the magimix, add the flaked fish and pulse until a nice, fine flake is accomplished. Add chopped parsley and a little lemon zest, an egg, a little olive oil and fresh cracked pepper (won't need any salt - there's plenty on the smoked fish already). Coat in panko and either fry until golden or spritz with cooking spray (I use a Trader Joe's canned oil that is 100% canola oil and no silicone) and bake at 400 for about 10-15 minutes on each side. I baked mine because I'm finally getting around to trying to drop those 10 pounds of quitting smoking weight that have crept on since January.

The aioli was a bullshit fake because I had used the last egg in the cakes, so I had to use store-bought mayo (gasp!) and it was even low fat mayo to boot. Oh, don't look at me like that. Adding Greek yogurt, a squirt of lemon juice, some dijon mustard, fresh herbs and black pepper transformed it into a surprisingly decent accompaniment to the fish cakes. Was it even aioli any more? Fuck if I know.

Serve with a mixed green salad dressed simply in olive oil and lemon juice or white wine vinegar, and a sprightly Gewürztraminer such as a
2006 Thomas Fogarty. (Peter B. and Norm: I actually looked at the label this time - aren't you proud?)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Heather! You have been sorely missed...I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us...

glamah16 said...

I sneak to look at my reader after lunch and I see that your back. I really missed you. Just take it easy and keep it fun and light. While you were gone I flew up to Toronto and met Peter. Will be meeting some other bloggers over the summer. Hope one day to meet you.

Peter M said...

There's something wrong with my Google Reader (TAP TAP TAP)...something's wrong...Some Gild the Mo-Fo Lilly has updated their blog. Must-check-it-out!

Smoke a fag, chillax, cook, blog and welcome back.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Welcome back, Heather. We missed you!

Syd said...

Yay! I've been hoping you'd return soon.

tammy said...

Oh, I gave a shit, all right. I gave multiple shits. Welcome back!

Heather said...

Yay! Thanks you guys. Seriously. It really is good to be missed.

Pixie said...

It's wonderful to have you back Heather. You've been missed and I hope you had a restful break.

Núria said...

Yahiiiiiiii! Welcome back Guapa!!! I missed your spiced words :D
Good you are back and in shape :D

peter said...

I am SO proud. Welcome back.

It surprises me though that after not eating for two weeks the first thing you'd make would be leftover soup. I'm just saying.

Laura Paterson said...

yay - she's back!!!

There hasn't been nearly enough cussing in my reader for far too long ;)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Welcome back! I knew if I kept leaving you comments that you would be guilted into it!!! Anyway it is good to get your groove back isn't it?

Jen said...

So wonderful to see you back! I know how important those respites can be, though.

Norm Schoen said...

Heather,
Welcome back! In regard to you taking an active interest in your wine selection, I feel like the proud father that is watching his child take off on the little bicycle with training wheels!
Time to ditch the training wheels-