Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Salmon burgers with sauce gribiche

...or, Perfect Summer Dinner v. 1.0

I have a feeling there will be more of these "perfect summer dinner" posts, what with it only being the first week of it or so, so I thought I'd just preemptively number this and wish it well.

So I don't know if I told you this (I have some of you in comments and such), but I've switched teams for awhile. No, I'm not a lesbian (ha! you wish) I'm just not eating meat for awhile. Since I had all the pork leftover from the roast (not to mention the whole loin I bought), still have the lamb, and still have the half a beeve, I've been literally forcing meat into every meal and my kidneys need a break. Oh, I'm sure I'll crack soon - I have only had tofu or seafood since last Saturday. But before I switch back, ever so fickle, I made some wonderful salmon burgers, served al fresco. The burgers are actually store-bought salmon patties (whaddyagonnado) dressed up with a seasoned panko coating.

To really do this right, serve them with heirloom tomato salad (dressed simply with balsamic, walnut oil, fines herbes, a crack of pepper and a crunch of Maldon.

The warm spell demanded corn on the cob cooked the way my grandma always did: boiled with a spoonful of salt and sugar.

The only work I really had to do was in constructing the condiments. For the burger, I combined minced dill, tarragon, parsley flowers and a wee bit of chopped quickle with lemon zest, crème fraîche, a squidge of store-bought mayo, a bit of Dijon mustard and a drib of white wine vinegar. Salt to taste. (Yes, this is poser's sauce gribiche because it has crème fraîche and doesn't have boiled egg, but some of you are still adding cream to your buerre blanc so don't even front.)

A compound butter for the corn: minced thyme, oregano, and marjoram with some grated parm redge, garlic and S&P smashed into some good cultured butter.

This meal paired perfectly with Wandering Aengus heirloom blend cider. A match made in heaven!

Top the burger with a schmear of the sauce gribiche, a little thinly-sliced quickle and some butter lettuce (onion optional - I can't go without, but Scott's delicate palate is easily burned out by things like raw onion, horseradish, sharp mustard, etc.). Note the lovely pilsner glass in the background. It's monogrammed! A birthday gift to Scott from his lovely mother Linda (he loves them, Linda!).

Hot fun in the summer sun!

26 comments:

glamah16 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
glamah16 said...

For some reason this didnt pop up in my reader. Great summer dish. I like the tip about boiling corn with salt and sugar. Have to try that. Give your kidneys a break. There will be enough meat for winter!

Sarah said...

Looks really good and I think I can hear your kidneys saying "Thanks! The salmon was delish!"

Makes me cry to think of the lovely salmon I'm missing out on living in this landlocked state. But at least someone is enjoying it.

BTW, my kidneys are cringing now as I "rub" my pork butt. (Don't get to say that everyday, do you?)I'll let you know how it turns out.

Manggy said...

Hah, I know what you mean. But it just takes me one meal to decide that I need to alternate with something not so porky in my diet :)
I'll have to try sauce gribiche (I haven't heard of it before today). It sounds yummy! :)

Peter M said...

Oh, you'll crack and in a big way...I predict a 3-alarm brekkie comin' up.

For store bought, dem burgs look real good. The tomatoes are gorgeous, bejewled with herbs and the photo of you holding the corn...priceless!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Very nice! I know what you mean about needing a break from meat.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

Oh my! Ms Voodoolily's gone all soft! I still reckon you come up with the best recipes on the net...your creations are fantastic...now lets talk about that lesbian thing....

Syd said...

Before I even read your "switching teams" comment, I was thinking this dish looks a little faggy. (Albeit, delicious)

giz said...

The salmon patty looks like it was created for an Iron Chef competition - just gorgeous - I'd rather have a salmon "burger" anyday.

peter said...

I periodically take breaks from meat, and eat several meatless meals during the course of a normal week. It just makes sense, and feels better. Plus, it's summer and you can eat like this...

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

So, we're having everything with bread now, too?

OK, ok, they look good, I admit. Ish.

BTW, if you want to add to your list of things to put in bread, I have an ace tasty + quick recipe for falafel burgers. Not that I'd give it to you, obviously. ;-)

Laura Paterson said...

those heirloom toms look delish!

I hear you on the meat thing - I try to have a couple of meatless days every week...

Heather said...

Court - Today may be the day when I cave. I spent all day yesterday hungover and did no BBQing at all! :(

Sarah - You can get good trout, right? I should send you some salmon or sturgeon. Nathan certainly has enough!

Mark - I think Asian diets are really the healthiest - meat is there, but not the central focus of the meal.

Peter the Greek - Haha, I woke up craving eggs bennie today. :P The burgers didn't look that good until I dressed them up (they were just flat patties of ground salmon).

Foodycat - Sometimes I can't believe I was a strict vegetarian for 10 years.

Petah - I'm still tough as nails and you know it! I'm going to eat a hot dog or three today, and they won't be made of tofu.

Syd - Haha the salmon burger could only be more gay if I put microgreens on it instead of lettuce.

Giz - It's not a substitute for a beef burger, but something wonderful in its own right. :)

Jube - Once my garden starts banging out stuff besides Jurassic-sized collards and Nero di Toscano kale (what was I thinking planting 5 plants of each??), I'll be living off the fat o' the land.

Sketti - Whole wheat hamburger buns are the base of the food pyramid! Don't they teach you that in English elementary schools? Re: your falafel burgers, I'm listening...

Kittie - A caprese is nice, but this is really about the tomatoes! When you have good toms you don't need anything but S&P.

Cynthia said...

It's understandable that you'd be off of meat for a while because like you said, just the whole roast pig alone is enough to do anyone in.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Have sent the falafel burger recipe to your email address.

Cook, eat, enjoy.

Leigh said...

even for a beer fiend like me, I can see that Cider wokring really well. Good call!

Anonymous said...

Salmon burgers! Yummy yum yum yum. Those heirloom tomatoes are really beautiful too aren't they? Perfect summer eating.

Anonymous said...

is it possible to say that that tomato looks smokin' hot. SEXY? it's like ooozing sex! oh and that salmon burger looks good too.

Heather said...

Cynthia - It hasn't been that bad sticking to veggies and seafood, but I think I'll be ready for meat again soon. :)

Sketti - Thanks for the recipe!

Leigh - I really love ciders (real ones, not those shitty malt liquor date rape beverages they try to pass off as cider).

Helen - Luckily I have one more lovely tomato for the slicing. :)

Amy - A tomato sure as hell can be sexy!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

When the days turn hot and hazy we need to turn lazy and create meals with as little fuss as possible:D

Jeff said...

Tis the perfect summer dinner.

Light and takes care of all those awesome summer vegetation.

Also thank you for proving that compound butters are the greatest creation on the face of this earth.

Emily said...

What a lovely summer dinner! I can't get over how beautiful those tomatoes are. I've never had such a good looking tomato.
I love all of your unusual alcohol pairings.

Hope you had a good 4th!

Lore said...

I've just read another salmon burger post but yours is the cherry on the cake. I can so make place for both :D

Thistlemoon said...

Those tomatoes look great, so does that awesome cider. I love a good cider, but you are talkin bout heirloom apples! WOW! Everything looks great!

I am with you, in summer, I like to lighten things up a bit! It is only natural me thinks!

Anonymous said...

Salmon is so darn healthy, I'm really glad you posted this recipe. I love how fresh all your food is, too :D! Yummy!

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i'm not a huge salmon kinda gal, but i'll eat it. especially on that bun with that sauce and the beer.... and corn and tomatoes.

yes, summer on a plate.