Sometime when I'm at the liquor store I like to pick up something I've never had before. This usually ends in tragedy, but sometimes I strike gold. This is one of those times.
Have you ever seen this before? It's a honey liqueur, and it's delicious. It really tastes like cuddly pot of honey that was left out to turn to booze on a summer afternoon. It tastes like clover blossoms and French kisses with blond bees. The bottle has a handy belt strap on the back.
Since winter is almost over (godspeed, vernal equinox!), I figured I'd enjoy one last taste of winter and make a hot toddy. I know, it runs completely contrary to the imagery I put in your head in the preceding paragraph, but cut me a little slack. I love hot toddies. Anything that consists of bourbon, honey and lemon is alright by me.
1 glug Bärenjäger honey liqueur
1 glug good bourbon
1 oz. fresh-squeezed lemon juice, plus a wedge to garnish
2 oz. boiling water
Pour each of these things into your favorite mug. My favorite mug actually has Deery Lou on it, but it's in the dishwasher right now. I'll find out tomorrow if I'll ever drink it again.
In other news, since I have been hit with a couple more memes (seriously, people, stop the insanity), I decided I'm going to double-dip and select the same five victims for both. Judy smacked me with the E is for Excellent award (I was really hoping the E was for Epilepsy, but alas), for whom I am supposed to select five more recipients. And Núria blasted me with the monstrosity of Name a Million Earnest Things About Yourself, This Time With Feeling. Another five victims.
I don't want to play along, but I noticed that when I mock these things or protest, nice people stop reading my blog. The hell am I supposed to do? This isn't LiveJournal, for fuck's sake. Can't you people see that?
So I am making a compromise. I will answer the stupid questions and pick five more people. But this time, I implore you, I beseech you, DO NOT PICK ME FOR ANY MORE MEMES. For the love of god. If you don't listen, I will be forced to think of more synonyms for begging, and who wants that? No one, that's who.
What were you doing 10 years ago?
I was living in a shitty apartment, growing ever less enamored of my then stoner-artist boyfriend (who did not become the Hubz) and in my third year of forestry school. I think that's the year I started eating seafood after 8 or so years of vegetarianism. And looking forward to my thirties.
What were you doing 1 year ago?
Pretty much this, I just wasn't talking about it.
Five snacks you enjoy
Korean ramen with extra sesame oil and cayenne sprinkled on top
Cinnamon Chex with skim milk
Baby garlic dill pickles (or cornichons)
Toast with butter and marmalade
Imitation crab, chunk-style, straight from the package
5 Things you would do if you were a millionaire
1. Open a supper club. You know those places that have family-style communal tables, prix-fixe menu, dinner only (maybe brunch on Sundays). Simpatica (one of my favorite restaurants) is this style, and I love sitting with other patrons chatting about each course. This is the only kind of restaurant I can see myself cooking in.
2. Donate $100,000 to Planned Parenthood and $100,000 to the Nature Conservancy.
3. Live in Japan for a year or twelve. One week is not long enough.
4. Buy a huge old Victorian and remodel it to be completely green. Like Platinum LEED Rating green. I've always wanted to live in a really old house with three or four floors and little creepy stairways hidden in closets. I'd like to go completely solar for my electricity.
5. I'd build a conservatory with a swimming pool inside so I can swim in the same place as I grow citrus trees, vanilla orchids and heirloom tomatoes. And I want a pet heron to do my bidding. He can live in the conservatory when it's too cold outside.
5 bad habits
I rarely floss my teeth, I belch, I cuss, I blow off going to the gym more than I go, and I talk shit about people behind their backs.
5 things you like doing
Drinking, eating, cooking, writing, watching E! True Hollywood Stories
5 things I would never wear again
An army jacket, long johns as outerwear, Birkenstocks, tie-dye, patchouli
5 favorite toys
My Wii, my camera, my propane torch, my chef's knife, my USB turntable
I changed my mind. I don't want to pick any people to pass this on. I have a feeling I won't need to, since the people I would pick will get picked by others anyway. And besides, you can't get to know people by forcing them to answer forced, insipid questions like life is a Sign-In, Sign-Out book from 4th grade.