Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Miso fish is also a basic thing.


I've been making it for pert'neer a decade. It's fast, easy and requires nearly no attention. And Rachael Ray can shove it up her Photoshopped ass, 'cuz this takes less than 30 minutes, and I didn't even have to fake any cooking talent to make it. You do need some basic Japanese ingredients, but for $10 worth of pantry items, you'll be able to whip out fairly honest Japanese cooking.

Sakana-no nitsuke (miso fish)
You can use any kind of fish for this. I like a working-class tilapia or basa, but cod went on sale and it was just delicious. I like to serve this with Calrose rice and mixed greens to sop up the sauce. Serves 2.

Sauce
3 tbsp shiro (white) miso
2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp yuzu preserves or marmalade
2 tbsp sake (optional, but why don't you just get a bottle of sake and drink the rest)
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp mirin (1/2 tsp honey + 1/2 tsp water can be subbed)
2 or 3 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp grated ginger

A good, firm fish fillet such as mentioned above, cut into 2 servings
1 scallion, sliced eloquently

Whisk together the sauce ingredients in your favorite little sauce-whisking vessel. Taste it and make sure I didn't fuck up the recipe, because I wrote it from memory (however, I think I'm pretty damn close). I'm really assuming you know how to tell if something tastes "not right" and can tweak basic flavors such as sweet and salty. Also, you should just always taste while you cook anyway, unless you want to be a laughingstock, and who wants that.

Preheat the oven to 350oF (the magical temperature*). Heat up a pan and slip in some oil (not olive, just this once). Lay the fish in the pan (you can add some shiitake if you want), and pour the sauce over the top. Oh, how it will spatter and protest! Turn off the stove and toss this puppy into the oven. The fish will be done in the time it takes to cook the rice (15-20 minutes). When the fish feels firm to the tip of your ring finger, it's ready. The great thing about this dish is that the fish never really dries out because of the sauce. Go ahead and sprinkle the scallions over the top, for a little flair.

Serve with Calrose rice sprinkled with fumi furikake (rice seasoning) of your choice (I use a spicy nori fumi furikake - it's totally optional) and some nice mixed greens. Deftly spoon the sauce over the fish and greens, but leave the rice unmolested. You'll be glad to have moist little mouthfuls of Clean and White to chase the unctuous sauce.




*350oF is the magical temperature because it gives you the maximum walk-away-and-forget time without resorting to actual slow-roasting. Oh, that shit'll cook, it just won't burn the second you turn your back on it. Also, it' s my oven's default temp and sometimes, yes, I'm too lazy to push a "temp up" arrow three or four times.

19 comments:

glamah16 said...

I have a bag of miso in the fridge I need to experiment with . Im not crazy about Miso but I do like it on fish. Thanks for another good recipe!

Emily said...

You've got Rachael beat on this one!

Looks delicious, and so simple. Now if I could just get my hands on some decent fish in this area...

Peter M said...

Pert'neer...your Indian hubby?

Heather, nicely executed Nipponese fish, balanced and yeah I'd reach over and eat some off your plate too.

So, did you also wear a kimono whilst making this dish for pert'neer?

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Mmmmm...I was thinking alst night that i needed a good fish recipe. Kiddies may have to eat something else that night though!

Syd said...

I've never tried this, but I will.

I wish my mom would toss in the occasional F bomb on her recipe cards. Makes reading so much more fun.

cookiecrumb said...

There's a "temp up" arrow??

Seriously nice food, Heather.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Miso hungry. I've got a recipe for some miso and sweet potato filled ravioli. It's kinda labor intensive. And it's probably not as good as this. Oh and btw, you've been tagged! Go to my blog to see what's up. :)

Anonymous said...

rachael can set sail into the sunset in her garbage bowl. that is some seriously good-looking fish. this could help me get over my fear of working with miso.

Núria said...

Hey Heather! This looks great as usual!!! You are a fan of oriental foods :D
I can't help laughing at Peter's ideas!!!! he, he, he

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

OK, you win. I'm going to ditch the teriyaki and move over to miso.

Thistlemoon said...

I really wish I could eay miso....wahhhhhh....

Soy is not my friend - I have it only a coupla times a year when I go out for sushi.

Heather said...

Cookie - Yep, on my oven you have to manually hit up up up up until you get to the temp you want. Pain in the ass, it is.

Nikki - That ravioli sounds really good. I beet a little browned butter and sage would be all you need for sauce.

Michelle - Don't fear the miso! It's just like peanut butter, only saltier and made of fermented soybeans. :P

Nuria - Yes, Peter is a very clever boy, isn't he.

Spaghetti - Miso pwns teriyaki! Although teriyaki is good in its own way.

Jenn - I hear ya. I really should stay away from onions and garlic, but that's a life not worth living. :)

Soukyan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoAnn said...

Awww man! That looks so good I want to stick my fork in the screen! We love fish, so this will go over well in this house!

Madame K said...

Miso + fish is so good. Now I'm hungry for some - too bad I'm cooking up a few slabs of beef for dinner tonight!

Heather said...

JoAnn - When I develop fork-into-screen technology, you'll be the first to know! :)

Karen - Hello there! Beef, eh? I ain't mad at ya. :) I've eaten seafood every night this week and could really go for some moo.

Jen said...

This looks amazing. I'll have to try it!

Anonymous said...

looks awesome and easy. also, rachel ray's ass is DEFINITELY photoshopped in this picture (http://www.weareneverfull.com/2007/08/23/rachel-ray-maybe-hate-is-a-strong-word/). i f=ing hate her, but i think you're cool. like your blog! i also like that you embrace your inner Dub-T... it's a very daring move not many choose to admit.

JB in San Diego said...

I had a tub of miso, a half pound of cod and two hungry kids, so I went Googling. Your recipe caught my eye. I subbed orange marmalade for the yuzu, and a touch of minced garlic for the ginger (which I normally have but didn't today). It was a huge hit. After checking out a few more of your entries I am about to become your newest subscriber. Thanks a bunch and keep up the good work.